Gift Aid Recovery

Home Forums UK Men’s Sheds Forum Managing Sheds Gift Aid Recovery

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Men in Sheds West Bletchley 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Be interested to learn how Sheds undertake Gift Aid. My Shed does not pay an Annual Membership Fee but instead, charges a weekly fee which allows the member to attend up to five times in the week from Monday through to Friday.

To calculate what Gift Aid to recover, I think I would need to generate a spreadsheet that records the number of times in the Financial Year of the Shed that each member attended and paid to come up with a total amount paid. If they are a UK taxpayer, then we could recover Gift Aid on this amount provided that we hold a declaration of the amount paid that has been signed and dated. It would need to be an annual exercise to update the information, but I believe it could work.

I’d be interested to hear what other Sheds do.

Frome Shed
    Participant

We ask all Members to complete a standard Gift Aid form – “I want to Gift Aid my donation of £……..and any donations I make in the future or have made since 24th April 2017 to The Frome Men’s Shed.”

We already maintain records of Shedder by attendance week and donations, and so we can roll up for an annual submission.

We have just received our first payment from HMRC, and will shortly be submitting our second years submission – Expecting a payment in the region of £1000.

We already update personal information annually with regards to GDPR – This applies to address and any change t status.

Its great if all members pay Income Tax, but we have at least four who do not. HMRC guidance is quite clear that in order to be eligible to claim Gift Aid, “For a charity to claim Gift Aid on your donation, you must have paid UK Income or Capital Gains Tax that financial year. The tax you pay must be equivalent to the amount of Gift Aid the charity will reclaim on your donation that tax year (and will be claimed by other charities and CASCs)”.

As a small Shed the admin effort does not justify the meagre rewards. If you have regularly 20 – 30 members attending each week, then I could see its worth.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.