Managing the Dust Hazard

Home Forums UK Men’s Sheds Forum Shed Safety and Risk Management Managing the Dust Hazard

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Eddy Flynn 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Has any Shed yet managed to install an all singing, all dancing solution to the removal of dust from the workshop? I ask, because although we have installed individual suction points to each machine dumping to a portable industrial dust extractor, it is still not sufficient to remove airborne dust particularly from the belt sander and mitre saws which produce a lot which causes problems and means that those with breathing difficulties cannot take part in these activities.

I suppose the question is, has any Shed built a solution which works and avoids having to drill an extraction point through the external wall (we are prevented from doing so under the terms of our occupancy)?

relianttrike
    Participant

we open the front door and the rear door and let nature that its course.?

But that’s hardly a practical solution. Dust is a serious health issue that Sheds ignore at their peril.

DavePuttock
    Participant

If you have an opening window, you could make up a board which fits/clamps in the window space and carries the extract pipe. Then you can remove it at the end of a session and close the window.
    You might also think about putting the dustiest machines in a partitioned and ceilinged enclosure with general extraction or best of all look for an old wet back spray booth so all the dust gets pulled into a wet curtain

Eddy Flynn
    Participant

We (Bootle tool shed) are in the process of getting quotes for a new dust extraction system, I understand there was going to be a representative from an extraction company at the AGM /shedfest did it happen, any hints and tips will be greatfully received, we’re wanting to go with a 100mm pipe system but 110mm seems to be more common, thoughts please guys

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.