Restoring wooden workbenches to full function with dogs or pegs

Home Forums UK Men’s Sheds Forum Getting Creative Restoring wooden workbenches to full function with dogs or pegs

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  KentShedder 6 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

poolekiteman
    Participant

Here at Wareham Area Men’s Shed, we are presently using facilities provided by local authorities.
    We have a workshop with 3 wooden carpentry workbenches that have taken some hard wear over the years.
    I have replaced missing wooden “handles” for the wooden vices (12″ of broomstick and a couple of wooden knobs each)
    But… our main problem is clamping down planks etc so we can saw them easily – at the moment we have to gather round and hold the pieces of wood by hand, or hold them upright in the vices, which is far from ideal.
    The workbenches are so thick that we cannot use G clamps.
    And… we believe that we need to find/make “dogs” to fit into the rectangular holes in the top of the work surfaces.
    I have found reference to “dogs” and “pegs” within listings for carpentry workbenches on Ebay, but nobody seems to supply spare dogs or pegs!
    So you can see what I mean (and the rectangular holes for dogs or pegs) I have uploaded a photo of 2 of the benches here:-
    http://www.grumpyoldgits.org/warehamshed/images/benches.jpg

Any help or advice gratefully received – many thanks – richard

poolekiteman
    Participant

KentShedder
    Participant

There are Dozens of How to, Videos on UTube, Bench Hold Downs etc.

Some made from Metal and some made from Wood / Plywood.
    Your Bench Holes would maybe better Round.

Len.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.