Steve Redrup (Co-ordinator of the Southern Men's Shed Network)

Home Forums UK Men’s Sheds Forum About Me Steve Redrup (Co-ordinator of the Southern Men's Shed Network)

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    seredrup
    Participant

I am really pleased to see that the National Website now has a Forum.

I am the Co-ordinator of the Southern Men’s Shed Network (http://www.smsn.org.uk).
    We are an informal collection of Shed Representatives from about 30+ sheds within a 25 mile radius of Portsmouth (Hampshire).
    We started almost 2 years ago and meet quarterly at different hosting sheds within the area.
    It’s an opportunity to shares ideas, experiences and raise common issues.
    With some shed chairs being on the National Committee, it also gives us a chance to hear from and share concerns with the national level.

I understand that there are a number of other regional networks which are in the process of forming and would be interested to make contact and meet when you are established, with a view to sharing ideas and experiences between regions.

We also have a forum, which although it is sometimes difficult to get some members to use it does provide a good communication mechanism, especially as we use it to create an automatic weekly newsletter which is emailed weekly.

Feel free to have a look.

http://www.smsn.org.uk/forum

Steve Redrup.

Hi Steve,

Good to know that I’m not the only Shedder posting!

We have a lose-knit group of Sheds based in the County of Buckinghamshire and come together on roughly a three monthly basis by rotation around each Shed with the host Shed arranging the programme. In between times, we exchange views/requests for information by means of a Google discussion group which I set up and administer. We have had discussions on a wide range of topics such as mental health, how to effectively use social media to promote the Shed, engaging with Bucks County Council’s waste reduction programme and our most recent meeting was an outing to the Greatmoor Energy from Waste plant that was organised by the Winslow Shed.

We don’t yet have a web presence, but to be frank, we don’t need one as we are small enough to communicate between ourselves and via individual Shed websites.

Tony Smith-Crallan and Kookie will be familiar to you as they are both located in your region. We regularly talk as Ambassadors but are always keen to hear about Shed stuff.

Paul Egerton

seredrup
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.
    Good to see there are other networks already up and running.
    The fact that you also talk to Tony and Kookie gives us a bit of cross-pollination.
    Shame you don’t have your discussions with more public access, it may have been useful to see what your group are thinking.

If you think you may have something we would find useful, please feel free to send it to me or post it on our forum.

Good luck with the Network and hopefully we will get a chance to meet up some time.

Best Regards,

Steve Redrup.

Sorry Steve, I have only just seen your response – seems the email alert failed to trigger a message in my mailbox!

My Shed, Men in Sheds West Bletchley, is hosting the July gathering of the Buckinghamshire Shed Network and I have invited a speaker from UKMSA to come along and talk to those assembled about the work of the UKMSA and what more we can get out of our membership (It will probably be Laura I understand that comes). If free, you are most welcome to come along – it is to take place on Wednesday 11th July from 10.30 am until 2pm at the offices of West Bletchley Council. I will be sending out details to the Buckinghamshire Network nearer the time via our Google Group, but for now, I’m more than happy to add you to the distribution list so that you get an idea of the sort of things that go on so if you could email offline at pegwr33@gmail.com I’ll be pleased to take that forward.

It might be a bit ambitious, but might a South East/South of England “Meet the Sheds” Event be worth organising where ideas can be exchanged? It was tried in a small way this way a few years back locally and spawned quite a bit of interest although it was before I got involved with Shedding so my knowledge is hazy at best but I know contacts who would be able to advise. Hiring a conference facility at a hotel or sports venue might be a cheap option if we could interest UKMSA or a sponsor to cover or part-cover the costs.

With best wishes,

Paul

BenLeP
    Participant

Hi Steve

I’ve just signed up for men’s sheds and I believe there is one in chandlers Ford at the hexagon centre? It’s listed here on this website but not on your network website.

I just wanted to highlight that to you in case it had been left out.

Please note it may not even exist, I’ve never been but I plan to check it out this week.

seredrup
    Participant

Hi Ben,

Thank you for that information.
    I was not aware of the Shed at Chandlers Ford and I don’t appear to be able to find a website for them.
    The Sheds listed on our Network Website are those that have shown an interest in the network and supplied their details.
    If I can find contact details I will contact Chandlers Ford and invite them to join us.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply but your post was emailed to me but unfortunately ended up in the Junk folder and I have only just found it. Thanks again for the information.

Steve.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!